Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pitches and writing doubt demons

Wow, time flies! I didn't realise I had been away from here so long. So much for my goal of blogging at least once a week.

After a full and tiring week at the day job, I managed to get a pitch done for Donna Alward's Perfect Pitch Contest on eharlequin. Boy, did I sweat blood on that one! One thing I learned is that pitches are damn hard! I wasn't 100% happy with it, but it was the best I could do with the time I had. So I pressed 'send' last night. It will be invaluable to get feedback on my pitch from an experienced author like Donna.

In other news, I received feedback from my teacher about my second chapter. The verdict is that I still have a lot of work to do - I need to 'deepen and layer my story in a realistic and sympathetic way'. Hmmm....For my next assignment I've looked at my first draft of my third chapter and I'm considering cutting it out completely and making the fourth chapter into my third (if that makes sense!)

Regardless, the doubt demons have firmly taken residence at Chez Peters. Why, oh, why did I think I could write a MOC as my first ms targeted towards Modern Heat? I'm starting to doubt whether I have the skill to pull it off at this stage. But I'm stubborn, and I want to finish this ms. I need to finish it so I can have that boost of confidence that I can finish something - not just a first draft but a polished, shiny ms. Even if it is imperfect. But I'm limping along, struggling with the writing, struggling to silence the 'shoulds' that swirl through my head.

Anyway, that's enough rumenating for a Saturday morning. Off to work on Chapter 3...

How are you coming along with your WIP? And did you enter the Perfect Pitch Contest?

2 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

You can do it Angie!! You whip that ms into shape :D.

I wish I'd entered Donna's but I think I might wait for next year. I keep missing the contests at the moment because I don't have anything ready for them :P . Good luck with the pitch contest! I can't wait to hear the results! Do you know when they're announced?

Angie Peters said...

Thanks for the support, Lacey :)

I always seem to miss the comps so I know how that feels! Thanks for the good vibes :) The results will be announced on Monday, but I'm honestly not stressed about it. I'm just happy I got my butt in gear and finally entered something - LOL.

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Angie Peters | by TNB